Saturday, February 15, 2014

February 15th 2014

What even happened this week.....well first off, yes, Mom. I lost Sister Platt. I am used to biking slower for my companions #thighsofsteel. I slowed down for Sister Platt when she had an itty bitty bicycle. She just got a new old bike from a missionary who went home and it's much better for the Madison hills. We were headed to an activity, and I was periodically glancing back as I always do to check on my comp, and she was doing fine. Then I got lost in thought about a lesson we were going to teach later, powered up a couple turns and hills, and finally jumped off my bike when we got to one that is simply to steep to bike. I turned around to talk to Sister Platt and she was gone. I waited for a bit, and she was still gone. I hopped back on the bike, and retraced my trail thinking she may have missed a turn. When I first started going and realized I was alone, I thought "wow, this is kinda nice, I'm NEVER alone" (one of the hardest things about being a missionary for me, I like alone time and it doesn't exist)...then I realized she wasn't one the road I thought she'd be on....it wasn't nice to be alone anymore, it was crazy, freaky, weird, and I got really scared for my comp. It was in a long, windy, hilly neighborhood, you can't see far, and there were NO cars. I tried to sent mental signals to Sister Platt to just stay where she was, and I would check every street in the neighborhood since I know the streets well and she doesn't.  I ended up going to a member's house on one of the streets to get some help and because I was freaked out being completely alone. The Primary President opened her door as I was on the phone with our roommates telling them what happened. She got her two boys ready and we started to set out to find Sister Platt. Before we got in her car, I see a call from Mally. I answered with, "is Sister Platt there?" I hear Sister Platt's voice, "Sister Sheffer, where ARE you?" I'm really glad Mally was home, because she lives across a major street that I figured Sister Platt wouldn't go past. Very happy to have a healthy, safe, companion now.

We had zone training and it was awesome. Never thought I'd hear missionaries quoting "If I was your bf [companion]" by Justin Bieber (ironically in a training on staying together, haha). Nor did I think I would see Sister Hanks throw candy at PResident Hanks. We have such great missionaries and leaders. The trainings were awesome.

Speaking of Johnathan Santos, a ward missionary has a son who reminds me of him. He's an awesome kid, and getting ready to submit his mission papers. He came to the Book of Mormon class this week to prep. I told his mom how impressed I was with him and how well he knows the scriptures. She told me that he said the same thing about Sister Platt and me. It's exciting to see how the Lord prepares people, and to just know that God is going to do amazing things through them. It's not as easy to see this ourselves. An RM spoke in church yesterday and pointed out that as we humble ourselves before God, He shows us our weakness and how that is especially prevalent on a mission. You never see more clearly, your own hand stopping you from serving God the way you want to. Yet He still works with and through us.

God made a miracle out of miscommunication. Due to miscommunication, a group of sisters that they were singing for zone conference, and asked me to accompany. We practiced at Mally's the night before and it touched her in a special way. They didn't end up singing for zone conference, but it was worth it just for the practice at Mally's.

We found a new investigator, Marcus, last week from a  non-member referral. We got to meet with him and it was great. We took a member with us and she was able to recognize how he can help the Boy Scouts in the ward through his work. he is happy to help, so it's nice that he can feel helpful right off the bat. He wanted to come to church, but ended up going to Birmingham for the weekend where a couple of his kids live. he's divorcing from his second marriage. He wouldn't say much about his ex-wife, who still lives in the same house, but she works days, and he works nights, so they trade taking care of their two-yr-old. We ended up running into her. She is not at all interested in our message, yet loves us, and is perfectly content with us converting Marcus. Meeting her was a pretty interesting experience. We actually biked past the town home they live and saw her outside smoking, Sister Platt was riding in front and past her. We stopped after we turned on another street, and I told her I was pretty sure, we needed to go talk to her. Sister Platt and I were both a bit nervous about it, but we went for it and are so glad we did and were able to build a relationship with her.

Caleb, the 7 yr old with HSP (Mally's grandson) requested a priesthood blessing as his spots have returned and the doctors found blood on his kidneys. We were able to set it up, and it was also a special experience. The family isn't planning on coming back to church, but the first time, they did say they would like home teachers.

One more cool story. A while back we got a referral from one of my favorite families in the ward. It was their first time giving a referral to the missionaries. We contacted him just as he was getting ready to eat, and he did say that his neighbors were mormon (the family who referred us to him) and that while he wasn't comfortable giving us his number, we could set up a better time through them. We reported back to the family, and they said when they tried bringing it up with him, he got standoffish and their relationship wasn't the same since. Kinda depressing. We had dinner with them last night, and Nestor, the referral, happened to show up at the end of it as his daughter wanted to give valentines to the kids. Coincidence? I think not. He heard a bit of our message, and said that he really would love to hear what we have to say, and that we would work the timing out. It was very building for the family, and we're teaching him the end of this week in their home. #membersandmissionariesftw Working with members is my favorite. The other family with the girls still loves us, and we are teaching the discussions in their home.

Thor and Mary have also opened up more to us, and love us, as we love them. Good relationship, and they are reading the Book of Mormon together. We'll have to go pretty slow with them, but they have progressed exponentially.

I'm pretty sad about Nick moving, but then, I may be too. The members are starting to say, "You've been here a long time." It's sad when they get sad. Last night as we were leaving our dinner appointment (right after Nestor left), one of the family members said, "I'm sad already because you're going to leave sometime." It pains me, but it's true. At least Nick is moving closer to my home so I can attend his temple marriage in a couple years. :)

Lots of things happened as usual, but I think I'll end there. I made a pretty bomb split pea soup for some sick people. :)

My testimony and appreication of the Savior has also grown this week. It's just incredible that He gives us everything, and it is never a bad time to come unto Him. It's very humbling to be representing Him.

Steadfast in Christ,

Sister Sheffer

No comments:

Post a Comment